Sunday, November 6, 2022

DeWitt Park - SW Portland - 10.8.22

 DeWitt Park is located in the Hillsdale neighborhood of Portland, Oregon. I've passed it several times and have yet to see a child playing there.

The park's swing set and the freestanding slide are newer, but the wooden play structure looks like it's at least 30 years old, maybe 40. (The tire swings have been replaced as needed.) 

I know it may look rugged, but I love the fact that a vintage wooden/metal structure still exists in Portland. I'm sure its days are numbered, but let's enjoy it while we can.




















According to Portland.gov's website, the park was acquired in 1960 and was named for Francis DeWitt, "a pioneer who came to Oregon from Germany in 1847 on a sailing vessel." As this in itself is not a notable achievement (we have lots of German immigrants here), perhaps that's why Francis's park is extremely basic. Still, I love it.

Location: 1805 SW DeWitt Street.


No comments:

Post a Comment